Beyond the Label is a movement to address stigma faced by persons with mental health conditions in society. According to the Singapore Mental Health Study 2016, one in seven adults have experienced a mental health condition in their lifetime. More than three-quarters of people with a mental health condition in their lifetime did not seek any professional help.
Objectives of Beyond the Label
Beyond the Label is our driver of change to influence public’s perception towards persons with mental health conditions. The campaign aims to encourage the public to go beyond the label of a mental health diagnosis, to view and regard persons with mental health conditions for who they are. We hope to:
- Raise awareness of the stigma towards persons with mental health conditions
- Celebrate the resilience, strength and contributions of persons in recovery from mental health conditions
- Educate and equip the public with tips and knowledge to interact and support persons in recovery
- Facilitate more conversations on mental health
- Encourage more balanced reporting and portrayal of persons with mental health conditions in the news and media.
Show your support for persons suffering from mental condition and join in the Engagement, Education, Dance, Sport & Fitness Mission: To create social awareness of mental health stigma and encourage support and acceptance of persons in recovery from mental health conditions. To share the message of hope and resilience by encouraging others to establish an active lifestyle to build a #STRONGERBODYSTRONGERMIND.
NBFA believes that everybody deserve to succeed in their life irregardless of their background, race, culture, sex or any conditions that life may throw at you.
This event is held jointly with Republic Polytechnic | Big Boss Asia | Sports Lifestyle Initiatives under the #BEYONDtheLABEL : CommunityᄅCampus initiative funded by the National Council of Social Service.
The NBFA Sports Model 2020 is part of the event Big Boss Asia Presents : The Next Big Superstar 2020
The aim of this event is to create social awareness of mental health stigma and encourage support and acceptance of persons in recovery from mental health conditions. To share our message of hope and resilience by encouraging youth to establish an active lifestyle to build a #STRONGER BODY STRONGER MIND.
NBFA Sports Model 2020
The event is open to all, novice and amateur are especially welcome. Attractive prizes includes World Class USA Neils Anderson Medallions, K9 Crystal Trophies from Europe and Cash prizes.
Due to COVID-19, we will feature only a single category, the Sports Model category. The sports model looks for athletically built body that portrays a strong and fit physique that is connected with sports of any discipline.
We hope to promote a strong sporting culture, helping Singaporeans to “Live Better Through Sport” of natural bodybuilding, fitness and modelling. To advocate doping-free sport in Singapore in compliance with the Anti-Doping Policy of Singapore, the ADS Anti-Doping Rules, and the WADA Code.
#Be A True Winner. Say “NO” to Doping.
To inspire Singaporeans through the sport of natural bodybuilding competitions in nation building, strengthening our national identity and community. To encourage Singaporeans to adopt an active lifestyle, to stay healthy, keep fit and grow stronger to achieve greater success in their personal life and social responsibilities. #STRONGERBODYSTRONGERMIND
NBFA Sports Model 2020 (a 8 weeks Stronger Body Stronger Mind Challenge)
- Registration is open now. Registration fee is $20 per participant (inclusive of $5 NBFA annual membership fee & $15 category entry fee)
- Due to COVID-19, participants are restricted to age group from 18 years of age onward on event day to 54 years of age and below on event day.
- Get advice on training, nutrition and competition from industry professionals via Zoom. Further information will be available upon registration.
NBFA Sports Model 2020 (Live) will be broadcast on Facebook on the 28th Nov 2020 Saturday, 6pm @ Sports Lifestyle Initiatives, Sports Lifestyle Centre, 3500A Bukit Merah Central Singapore 159837.
Closing Date for Registration and Submission of photos : 14th November 2020
- 25th November 2020, Wednesday, 2pm to 6pm, Shooting of finals routine & Judging
- 28th November 2020, Saturday, 6pm to 8pm, Broadcast of Main Event & Announcement of winners |Prizes Presentation NBFA Sports Model 2020 | Mr & Ms Popularity Awards based on audience votes
Venue: Sports Lifestyle Initiatives, Sports Lifestyle Centre, 3500A Bukit Merah Central Singapore 159837
*Due to COVID-19 and advisory by the Ministry of Health there will be no spectators nor are supporters allowed on site. Only participants may enter the venue alone. Rules must be followed strictly in compliance to COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) (Control Order) Regulations 2020
Champion: Certificate of Achievement+ K9 Crystal from Europe + Niels Andersen Medallion + $188 prize money
1st Runner Up: Certificate of Achievements + Niels Andersen Medallion + $88 prize money
Third to fifth place: Certificate of Achievements + Niels Andersen Medallion
All Participants: Certificate of Participation
Event will be Live Telecast by Big Boss Asia.
Submit a full body photograph of yourself upon registration, preferably before 3rd October 2020. (Male – bare top and in tight fitting shorts, Female – Sports bra with tight fitting shorts) with a newspaper of the day for the 1st submission. The date of the newspaper must be readable in the photograph. This is for assessment of the beginning of the participant’s transformation process in the competition.
Submit a second full body photograph of yourself again on the 14th November 2020 which is also the deadline for registration. (Same format and preferably, same outfit as the 1st photo.) This is for assessment of selected finalist for onsite judging. Late submission will not be taken into consideration and entry of participation will be void.
*Should participant who had submitted the 1st photograph but not the second, only the 1st photograph will be taken into consideration.
Weights will be given to participants who show the most transformation in the 2 photographs.
Participants who register after 3rd October 2020 will still be given a chance to enter the finalist selection based on the quality of their physique. Applicant must still submit the 1st photograph of themselves on the day of registration and the final photograph on the 14th November 2020.
20 finalists (10 Male, 10 Female) will be notified and be required to appear on TWO (02) Days. 25th November 2020 for a Pre-shoot and Judging onsite by a panel composed of official and guest judges from industry and trade leaders. Contestant are also required to appear on 28th November 2020 for the broadcast of main event and announcement of winners and presentation of prizes for NBFA Sports Model 2020 and Mr & Ms Popularity Awards based on audience votes at Sports Lifestyle Initiatives, Sports Lifestyle Centre, 3500A Bukit Merah Central Singapore 159837.
Zoom Meeting Schedule – Competition briefing, Exercise, Nutrition & Posing Workshop
Meeting ID: 570 696 7536
- 19th Sep 2020, 7pm to 7:45pm – Pre-competition briefing by President Mr Christian Goh Jiak Yee. Attendee: General Secretary Claudia Ng Ai Cheng, NBFA Champions – Ms Claris Koey Yi Lin, Mr Donald Jr. Mangapot Amar, Guest Speaker – Mr Kasbani. Memberships of Committees and participating athletes.
- 3rd Oct 2020, 7pm to 7:45pm – Trainer Ms Claris Koey Yi Lin – NBFA 2019 Ms Republic Polytechnic & Bikini Junior -Champion.
- 17th Oct 2020, 7pm to 7:45pm – Trainer Mr Donald Jr. Mangapot Amar – NBFA 2018 -Physique – Up to 170cm – 2nd Runner Up, NBFA 2018 – Fitness Model – 2nd Runner Up, NBFA 2019 – Physique – Up to 170cm – Champion, NBFA 2019 – Muscle Model – Champion.
- 31st Oct 2020, 7pm to 7:45pm – Fitness Expert (Guest Speaker) – Mr Kasbani Bin Kasmon – Managing Director of Anytime Fitness | Choa Chu Kang | Wisteria Mall | Woods Square
- 14th Nov 2020, 7pm to 7:45pm – Photos/Video Submission. Selection, Competition briefing by Mr Christian Goh Jiak Yee, Ms Claris Koey Yi Lin, Mr Donald Jr. Mangapot Amar & Mr Kasbani
NBFA Sport Model 2020 Zoom Workshop Online will be conducted on the 3rd Oct, 17th Oct, 31st Oct and 14th Nov at 7pm. Each session will last 45mins involving the following activities.
Workout – 15mins
Posing Training – 15mins
Nutrition Talk & Q&A – 15mins
- Male : Singlet with Tights (shorts or pants)
- Female: Tank top with Tights (shorts or pants)
Prepare for your home workout with the trainers. Plot out your space. Pick a spot that has room for at least a yoga mat—this should be a large enough area for you to stretch and do core exercises.
Camera: Placement of camera must from a distance that enable to capture a full view of the body clearly. Trainers need to access body form while training and posing practice.
NBFA Sports Model 2020 Judging Criterion
- Male – bare top and in tight fitting shorts and Sport Shoes*
- Female – sports bra with tight fitting shorts and Sport Shoes*
* Sport shoes will be considered part of the competition outfit. Athletes are judged based on overall stage appearance.
The judging criteria for Sports Model involves a Catwalk and Comparison rounds.
Athletes will be required to do a catwalk and perform free pose at 4 specific points on the provided platform above. After which athlete will line up in front of the judges for a comparison that include 4 different poses. Front, Left side of the body, Back and Right side of the body.
Once each competitor has performed their individual walk, each line-up of competitors will be asked to move forward for the comparisons to occur.
For the comparisons, competitors will be asked to perform quarter turns staring from the Front position, which are:
a. Quarter Turn Right
b. Quarter Turn Back
c. Quarter Turn Right
d. Quarter Turn Front
Erect, tense stance, head and eyes facing the same direction as the body, one hand resting on the hip, with four fingers at the front of the body, and one leg slightly moved to the side. Second hand hanging down along the body, slightly out of to the side, elbow slightly bent, with open palm and straight, aesthetically configured fingers. Knees unbent, abdominal and latissimus dorsi muscles slightly contracted, head up.
Competitors who fail to adopt the proper stance will receive one warning after which points will be deducted from their score.
Quarter Turn Right:
Competitors will perform the first quarter turn to the right. They will stand left side to the judges, with upper body slightly turned toward the judges and face looking at the judges. Left hand resting on the left hip, right arm hold down and slightly to the front from the center line of the body, elbow slightly bent, with open palm and straight, aesthetically configured fingers. Left leg (nearest the judges) slightly bent in the knee, resting flat on the floor. Right leg (farthest to the judges) bent in the knee, with foot moved back and resting on the toes.
Quarter Turn Back:
Erect, tense stance, head and eyes facing the same direction as the body, one hand resting on the hip, with four fingers at the front of the body, second hand hanging down along the body, slightly out of to the side, elbow slightly bent, with open palm and straight, aesthetically configured fingers and one leg slightly moved back and to the side, resting on the toes. Latissimus dorsi muscles slightly contracted, head up.
Quarter Turn Right:
Competitors will perform the next quarter turn to the right. They will stand right side to the judges, with upper body slightly turned toward the judges and face looking at the judges. Right hand resting on the right hip, left arm hold down and slightly to the front from the center line of the body, elbow slightly bent, with open palm and straight, aesthetically configured fingers. Right leg (nearest the judges) slightly bent in the knee, resting flat on the floor. Left leg (farthest to the judges) bent in the knee, with foot moved back and resting on the toes.
This may occur several times as you are being judged and the judges may need extra time to finalize their scoring.
Comparisons in Quarter Turns
All rounds are assessed using the following criteria:
- Muscularity and body condition
The judge should first assess the overall athletic appearance of the physique. This assessment should begin at the head and extend downwards, taking the whole physique into account. The assessment, beginning with the general impression of the physique, should take into consideration the condition of the skin and skin tone and also the hair.
Judges will be looking for physically fit looking contestants who display proper shape and body proportions, combined with balanced muscularity and overall condition.
The judges are reminded that extreme muscularity and definition should be marked down.
- Stage Presence and Personality
Judges are looking for the contestant with the best stage presence and poise, who can successfully convey his personality to the audience and the athlete’s ability to present him/herself onstage with confidence.
*(Note: No moves or stances of any sexual or erotic nature will be tolerated.) Competitors will not be allowed to chew gum or any other products while onstage. Competitors will not drink any liquids while onstage. Except for a wedding ring, competitors will not wear footwear, glasses, watches, earrings, wigs, jewelry, distracting ornamentation or artificial aids to the figure. Implants or fluid injections causing the change of the natural shape of any other parts or muscles of the body are strictly prohibited and may result in disqualification of the competitor.
Mask will be worn at all times according to COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) (Control Order) Regulations 2020
Competition Tanning is not required
* The use of tans and bronzers that can be wiped off is not allowed. If the tan comes off by simply wiping, the athlete will not be allowed to enter the venue. Artificial body colouring and self-tanning products IS NOT REQUIRED, though may be used, provided that it is applied at least twenty-four hours prior to the judging. Artificial tan may be applied by the professional companies and qualified personnel. Sparkles, glitter, shiny metallic pearls or gold coloring are prohibited whether applied as part of a tanning lotion and/or cream or applied separately, regardless of who applied them on the competitor’s body.
** The excessive application of oil on the body is strictly prohibited; however, body oils and moisturizers may be used in moderation.
*** The NBFA Head Judge, or a delegated by him as official, will have the right to make decision if a competitor’s attire meets the criteria established in the Rules and an acceptable standards of aesthetics. The athlete may be disqualified if the attire doesn’t meet them or if the tanning violate the rules and regulations regarding tanning.
Tanning Services by SparTan
To facilitate participant’s tanning needs, SparTan, a professional tanning company have offered 2 packages for participants to choose from. SparTan will custom a tanning package suitable for a Natural/Beach Tan for participants who wishes to use SparTan service to suit their own preference subjected to contest rules and regulations. All booking will go direct to SparTan. SparTan are to manage and resolve all bookings with athletes. SparTan is responsible for adhering and accountable to all Safe Management Measures while engaging the athletes in professional service as stipulated by the Ministry of Health and strictly in compliance with the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) (Control Order) Regulations 2020
1) Beach tan Package A at $60 ( 1 Coat )
2) Beach tan Package B at $88 ( 2 Coat )
*The above package are only offered at Capitol Piazza Outlet, #B1-17 Capitol Piazza, 13 Stamford Rd, 178905
**NBFA do not handle bookings nor collect a service charge/fee for the services offered by SparTan through our event webpage for NBFA Sports Model 2020. This services is only offered as an option for participants.